A heartfelt thank you to everyone who supported my re-election and to everyone who took the time to vote in our municipal election for their candidate of choice! This was democracy in action and your votes made the difference in how the next four years will unfold.
Thank you to all candidates who took on the commitment of the time and effort it takes to run an election campaign. To those that didn’t quite make it this time, there’s always next time. And in the meantime, keep involved, join committees, and participate. We need you!
I’m looking forward to working with the new council and together achieving great things for both rural and urban Port Hope during the upcoming term!
I’m hoping for your support in this fall’s municipal election. As Mayor of the Municipality of Port Hope the past four years, I’ve lead the effort working with PHAI towards making Port Hope the best example of “environmentally clean” that a town can claim. The process is not complete and I want to work as your Mayor the next four years to ensure that we’ll work as one to unveil a community befitting its new role as “the cleanest town in industrialized Canada”.
While we have made great strides in renewing municipal policy there is still work to be done and I’m enthusiastic about what I can help accomplish as mayor during the next four years. Good Governance is possible when policies are reviewed and made current.
It’s not time to change course. The Municipality is on the right course and I’m ready to devote my full time to continue at the helm to steer the Municipality in the direction that benefits the residents and businesses in our community.
What’s been accomplished so far:
- Stable tax base
- Reduced outstanding tax receivables by more than $ 1 MM
- No new debt
- Increased reserves
- Infrastructure support and long term assert management plan
- Increased efficiency and performance
- Eliminated the CAO position saving approximately $ 150,000
- Reduced Directors from 7 to 5 saving approximately $ 200 K
- Over 100 added jobs
- Tax revenues increased for a healthy tax base
- Attracted many new business – Trade Tech / Hotel / Kentucky Fried Chicken / Esso Gas Station /
- Supported the expansion of many current businesses – Maple Lodge Farms / Lauia Volkswagen / Lake Ridge Chrysler
- Business Park 100 % committed
- New Housing Starts
- Remediation is now actively underway
- A municipal team of 4 has been formed at no cost to the taxpayer to ensure municipal needs are met
- The Mayor and the municipal team works on a regular basis with the Federal Government and the contractors to support the remediation
A MUST WATCH video of the Town Hall style All-Candidates Event on Oct. 10th hosted by Avril Ging Ewing and Lyss England at the Lions Centre
YourTV video of one-on-one mayoral debate between Mayor Bob Sanderson and Councillor Terry Hickey, with York Bell-Smith as moderator